Minor Injuries Unit
A Nurse lead Minor Injuries Unit operates at the Herts and Essex Hospital, open Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm (last registration) (closed weekends & bank holidays).
They can treat only over 2 years of age for:
- minor injuries
- cuts needing stitches
- bites & stings
- sprains & strains
- sports injury
- suspected limb fractures requiring x-ray
- anti tetanus injections
- minor abscesses
- burns / scalds
- removal of foreign bodies i.e. splinters, fish hooks, cotton buds, earring butterflies)
- minor head injury
- minor limb injury
- whiplash (neck / headache following a low speed car accident)
They cannot treat:
- children under 2 years of age,
- dressing changes or stitch removal,
- cold symptoms, ear infections or sore throat,
- abdominal or chest pain.
- eye problems
- ear infections
- dizzy spells
- gynaecological complaints
- pregnancy issues
- mental health problems
- intoxicated patients
Minor Injury staff CANNOT authorise x-rays of head, neck, throat, face, chest/ribs, back/spine.
For further information telephone the unit on 01279 655191 ext 4298.
Click here to view Minor Injuries Unit Leaflet (.pdf, 787KB)
Urgent Care Centre
A new Urgent Care Centre is available at the QEII Hospital in Welwyn Garden City, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Queen Elizabeth II hospital, Howlands, Welwyn Garden City, Herts. AL7 4HQ Telephone: 01707 328111
Adults and children of all ages with minor injuries or minor illnesses can go to the Urgent Care Centre. No appointment is necessary.
The Urgent Care Centre will treat:
- Muscle and joint injuries - such as strains, sprains, sudden back or neck pain, tendonitis and soft tissue injuries.
- Suspected fractures and broken bones.
- Bites, stings, cuts, bruises and grazes.
- Burns and scalds.
- Foreign bodies stuck in ears or noses.
- Minor eye injuries.
- Minor head injuries.
- Minor illness that cannot wait until your GP surgery is next open.
Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS)
Minor Eye Problems?
Flashes or floaters?
Any other problems?
NHS appointments available at local optical practices Find a participating practice at primaryeyecare.co.uk
Click here for an information leaflet (.pdf, 238KB)